Crystal’s living room is bursting with posh potential. Here’s her letter:
I’m really excited to get started. I love working on our house but I have one particular area that has been so tricky. Right next to my TV is a giant open space and it’s one of the first things guests see. I really need help turning up the wow factor. It has come a long way but I need help. The tall ceilings make everything feel mushed down below. My style is modern beachy with a hint of glam, husband likes casual and functional. I’m looking for subtle glamour like an upscale luxury resort by the beach. Must stay: TV, the console it’s on, and preferably the ceiling fan. Can go: we’re on the hunt for couches. New items coming in – I purchased a and from Target and from Pottery Barn. They can be used or repurposed somewhere else. Curtains shown are new but can go in another room. Ideally the wall color would stay because the floor plan is so open it would require a lot of repainting and my husband might kill me. The kitchen is a blue gray and the living room is tan. I love Moroccan / Mediterranean inspired stuff and interesting patterns, just without too many punchy colors. Thanks! -Crystal
This space is primed for a major makeover. Here’s the plan:
And now for the mood board breakdown.
1. Our color palette is inspired by the wall colors in the adjoining rooms (blue-gray and tan) since Crystal will be keeping ’em (and they’ll certainly come in handy for achieving the glamorous beachy-luxe look that she’s going for). We’ll also bring in a chocolate sectional and a dash of fresh green to keep things interesting and dimensional- with lots of textures and patterns that work together to infuse a subtle Moroccan influence without too many chaotic colors.
When it comes to the furniture arrangement, we’d love to see the sectional placed where the two sofas currently sit and the round coffee table plopped in front of the sectional (which should sit on the fabulous 8 x 10 rug that we dug up to work flawlessly with Crystal’s already purchased Pottery Barn curtains- love them!). In the first picture, you can see that the wall with the TV is extremely long and bare, so leaning one of these on either side of the media cabinet will fill out that wall and reflect that gorgeous blue-gray kitchen for even more cohesion between both spaces (while adding some much needed height).
2. Although the existing wall colors dictated the tan and soft blue tones in our schemes, we’d love to see a few fresh pops of green in the space, and this adds movement, pattern, color and interest all at once. Placed on the left side of the TV cabinet (across from those fabulous white vases) it will balance the height on that side while bringing more color and a bit of texture to the TV cabinet.
3. Here’s the that Crystal has already ordered for her space, and we think hanging it centered above the TV with the matching CB2 leaning mirrors on either side of the media cabinet will create a nice feature wall that’s visible all the way from the kitchen.
4. We love these that would look dramatic and beachy-glam hung from the ceiling between each of the center pillars between the kitchen and the living room. They won’t block the view or the light between the two spaces, but they’ll add that luxe, glamorous feeling and act as sculptural interest in both spaces. We must admit we’re crazy about this little idea and can’t wait to see how it turns out!
5. Here are the gorgeous that Crystal already ordered (swoon). They’ll look gorgeously glam and beachy-chic framing that amazing picture window behind the couch, and we have a few little accessories for the thin strip of wall on either side of them to add even more wow-factor.
6. We love these that remind us of similar versions from William’s Sonoma Home for a bit less moolah. They’ll break up the elegant and practical chocolate sectional and add to the h and welcoming ambiance.
7. Here are our glammy that we’d love to see hung on the small strip of wall on either side of those gorgeous blue patterned curtains. For height we’d like to see two on each side (one on top of the other) with some green leafy branches or blooms in them for more of that fresh accent color in the room.
8. This simple will complete the seating area and ground our super fabulous rug (while tying into the dark wood in the existing media cabinet).
9. Here’s the often referenced that we just can’t get enough of. It’s super luxe and hotel-chic while working perfectly with our palette and adding effortless elegance and glamour to the seating area in a snap.
10. This lovely (and cost effective) is both practical and comfortable while making the most of the spacious layout (sometimes a larger piece like this can feel more streamlined than a cluster of smaller furnishings- and it’s cheaper than most sofas out there!). Speaking of smaller furnishings, we’d love to see this that Crystal has already ordered to the left of the sectional in front of the window to add a dash of shimmer, like jewelry for the room.
11. For a bit more of that luxurious & glammy flair that Crystal so desires, this will look lovely on the round coffee table while working with everything from the silver horn vases to the leaning mirrors on either side of the media cabinet.
And two of these will add more of that h luxurious feeling on the corner of the rug opposite the sectional to the left of the media cabinet to add a bit more of that casual and comfortable Moroccan vibe.
So there you have it. A beachy-glam and luxurious living room full of soft and inviting style. We can’t wait to see what you guys think- especially you Crystal!
Update: We sadly can no longer find the time to take on client commissioned mood boards (we now whip up general inspiration boards instead) but if we ever reinstate them we’ll make a big announcement!