Tracey’s ready to totally transform her bedroom. Here’s her letter:
Hi youngsters! I’m so excited we were able to get one of your spots this week and can’t wait to see your ideas! We’re looking to add some style to our boring bedroom. We’d like something modern & chic but comfortable & approachable. We like worldly aspects and something with a bit of fun (definitely no country or floral). We really like World Market and Pottery Barn. We definitely want to change the wall color. Because we live in Texas where it is HOT we would like to stay with an overhead fan (although not necessarily the one that’s there). The armoire can go or stay, and we are willing to paint/change hardware to update it. We are going to be purchasing a flat t.v. in the next couple of weeks, so that will go, along with the tv stand. I’ve had the idea to add either a comfy chair or a vanity (or cute small desk with a mirror mounted in front of it) in the room somewhere but am in no way tied to that idea. We are on a bit of budget, as well, so we are looking for moderately priced furniture. One last thing – we have two cats, so bedspreads that are primarily a dark color are a bit of a pain. Thanks so much, and I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with! -Tracey
This space is primed for a major makeover. Here’s the plan:
And now for the mood board breakdown.
1. We were inspired by the blue adjoining bathroom to bring some pops of sky blue into Tracey’s room along with rich chocolate furnishings, some light and airy cream tones and a bit of tan on cream pattern to keep things interesting, textured and worldly. As for the new wall color, we’d love to see a more wheat-toned golden tan color that really create depth and warmth in a snap (Benjamin Moore’s Sandy Brown).
2. These from Ikea will add height and drama when they’re hung high and wide on each window in the space, and they’re heavy enough to be drawn and provide ample privacy when they’re paired with the existing vertical blinds in the room. Since we’d like to see them hung at least 6″ above the tops of the windows and around 18″ wide on either side, the wall with two windows on it will gain a lot of softness and interest, and we even have a plan for the sliver of wall that will still be visible between them, stay tuned…
3. This World-Market-ish woven will look fantastic above the new blue tufted headboard we’ll be bringing in (we always love a round shape above a rectangular headboard or even a large flatscreen). And speaking of the flatscreen, across the room we’d love to see a simple deep-toned above the low-slung media cabinet with the new flatscreen and then some punchy blue vases and decorative accessories can add even more pops of sky blue to the room.
4. And in leiu of art, these amazing for either side of the bed are nothing short of worldly sculpture. We couldn’t believe the price and can’t wait to see how much height, shape, and ambiance they add to the entire room on each of the new bedside tables.
5. Tracey mentioned that she thought a comfy chair might make sense in the room, and we think popping this into the corner between the doors (see second picture above) will add an inviting and cozy vibe into the space (as well as some pretty amazing pattern and texture).
6. Here’s a h pop of vibrant color that will really work with our cream on tan on brown scheme. Everything from the button tufting to the gorgeous color makes perfect for the space, and shimmying the bed over so it feels more centered on that wall (see the last picture where there’s lots of space to the right of it) and adding matching bedside tables will really make sense of the layout. And here’s the fabulous diamond accented (bonus: it’s organic!) that will come together with the tufted headboard for an international look that’s textured, layered, and oh so fun.
7. These are the (on sale!) that we dug up (we actually have one in our guest bedroom and love it) for each of the matching wood-based lamps to rest on to add height and ambiance to both sides of the bed. And speaking of the bed, we’d love to see this overhead for comfort and style to spare.
8. Remember we mentioned the sliver of wall that will still be visible after hanging curtains on the two windows next to each other in the first picture? Well, two of these gorgeous criss-cross metal would look inviting and worldly above each other on the small slice of wall between the curtain panels. And the super sale price is almost too good to be true.
9. Tracey also mentioned she’d be picking up a media stand along with her new flatscreen TV and we love this from Target. The color and shape is perfect to slip right into the room and painting the armoire in a similar brown tone (and swapping out the hardware) will really tie both pieces together for a seamless and balanced look.
So there you have it. A blissful bedroom full of interest, pattern, and texture. We can’t wait to see what you guys think!
Update: We sadly can no longer find the time to take on client commissioned mood boards (we now whip up general inspiration boards instead) but if we ever reinstate them we’ll make a big announcement!