After getting some decorating help with her freshly renovated living room a few weeks ago, Hannah’s back for help with her master bedroom. Here’s her letter:
We need help with our new master bedroom. The goal is for it to feel comfortable, fresh, and invigorating upon waking. Our style is casual, comfortable, but visually interesting. We have NO furniture as of yet — just a lot of art! We’ve considered the but are by no means committed to it. We also need some end tables and some bedside lamps, window treatments, but we don’t need dressers or anything like that (the closet is the next room over). Maybe a chair? Whatever you think will help us best use the space. We definitely want a wall & ceiling color recommendation (the beams have yet to be installed, but they are stain-grade douglas fir). We like visually interesting prints and solids and a brighter, cheery feeling room, or a palate that’s soothing/comforting without being dull or boring. We like blues, greens, taupes, and whites. Thanks so much — looking forward to seeing your magic again this time! Cheers, Hannah
This space is primed for a major makeover. Here’s the plan:
And now for the mood board breakdown.
1. Our color palette is plucked from the amazing art that Hannah has already selected for the space. Fresh, soothing tones of blue, tan, chocolate brown, and white will keep things feeling crisp and serene without putting anyone to sleep (thanks to a few pops of vibrant turquoise). For the walls we’d love to see a creamy sand tone to work with the stunning sea art (Benjamin Moore’s Coastal Fog) and the vertical grain douglas fir ceiling along with the trim can go crisp white (Benjamin Moore’s Decorators White) while the beams remain a soft natural wood tone in the sandy tan range (Hannah can use a creamy tan whitewashing technique or find a stain that mimics the tone of the wall color to a T). Heaven.
When it comes to the furniture arrangement, we’d like the king sized bed centered under that stunning peaked ceiling with bedside tables and lamps flanking it for simple, balanced elegance. A welcoming bench at the foot of the bed adds a spot to sit or even stack some books and blankets, and a few more punches of aqua in the built-in bookcase across from the bed will keep things feeling cohesive and visually interesting. Crisp white bedding, breezy sand-colored curtains and that heart-stoppingly vivid art will seal the deal for this stunning new space.
2. These already selected will really make the lighter, breezier palette pop (we’re no strangers to mocha floors paired with tan, white and blue). The effect will be luxe and elegant while still feeling casual and comfortable.
3. We adored (on sale!) that Hannah had her eye on, but instead of ordering it in white, we think the oat upholstery will allow for crisp white bedding that will really pop while working with the amazing artwork hanging above it. It will feel tailored yet oh so approachable and inviting. And speaking of that clean white bedding, we love (also on sale!) from Crate & Barrel. It’ll make the king sized bed centered under those fabulous beams look like a fluffy white cloud in the middle of the room.
4. No bed is complete without some luxe and lovely accent pillows. We really liked how would tie into the horizontal art that will hang above the bed while two of the will set off the punchy square of turquoise and balance the mod wave pattern with something a bit more classic.
5. Here’s that amazing art that Hannah sent our way (which really inspired our entire design). We’d love to see the large horizontal piece hanging centered above the bed while the vertical piece hangs on the skinnier wall to the left.
6. Hannah may recognize this curtain selection since it’s actually the same sand-colored open weave panel that we selected for her living room makeover. We love a bit of consistency when it comes to curtains (we actually have the same kind throughout our entire house, and the same bamboo shades in a few rooms as well), and these will add more of that casual yet oh-so-relaxing feeling that helps make any bedroom feel more like a sanctuary.
7. We couldn’t love these more. They have clean lines and a super fresh & current look that will really add a ton of ambiance and character to the entire space.
8. As accessories on that great built-in cabinetry that will be installed across from the bed, these (both under $30) will add style and personality to spare.
9. This great (on sale!) will really add a lot to the entire room when placed at the foot of the bed (not only is it welcoming and charming in that soft aqua tone, it’s also a great place to sit for a bit or place a big stack of glossy magazines or novels).
10. This is up there with the lamps and the art for this space- as in, we can’t get over how much we love it. It’ll add texture and subtle visual interest thanks to the varied tan tones, and tie into our ocean art work so it feels like our cloud- er, bed- is floating above a sandy beach.
11. We intentionally decided to bring in in a warm antiqued white tone (on sale!) to work with our layered whites, creams and tans while letting the mocha flooring stand alone and be the star. The finish will make them feel casual and cozy while the sleek table lamps will add a dash of more modern appeal for a balanced vibe that feels comfy and fresh at the same time.
So there you have it. A beautiful master bedroom full of crisp yet cozy style. We can’t wait to see what you guys think- especially you Hannah!
Update: We sadly can no longer find the time to take on client commissioned mood boards (we now whip up general inspiration boards instead) but if we ever reinstate them we’ll make a big announcement!