When Manisha came back for some bedroom advice (after we made over her family room– stay tuned for those pics soon!) we couldn’t wait to create a dreamy and glam place for her and her hubby to rest their weary heads. Here’s her letter:
Hey guys! I continue to keep up with your blog and am amazed at the transformations that you and John create so effortlessly – actually, I’m sure it’s a lot of work but you guys make it look so breezy! I took all of your suggestions to heart for our family room and am excited to announce that I’m close to having some after photos for you. In the meantime, I need your help with my bedroom. It’s a complete blank slate! I’d love a glitzy, glamorous bedroom that my hubby can feel comfortable in too. The only pieces I have so far are tall glass globe based lamps and slate blue silk drapes. It’s a paltry offering in the way of providing inspiration but I hope it gives you the carte blanche to dream up a Hollywood Regency, modern glamour type of bedroom. You have complete freedom to pick our furniture – only guidelines are that we need a Cal King set, the wall opposite the bed is only 62″ wide and the carpet has to stay. Oh, and any help or guidance you can give for our ugly bathroom would be most appreciated too. Thanks a million!!! – Manisha
Well nothing’s as full of promise and potential as a blank slate of a room, so without further ado, our glam and gorge bedroom mood board makeover:
Here’s the mood board breakdown.
1. Our color palette is chock full of soothing neutrals (from deep chocolate brown to light oatmeal and sand tones) and some silvery blue hues to work with Manisha’s existing blue silk curtains. We’ll also be bringing in lots of whites, creams and ivories to keep everything light and airy for that uncluttered and open feeling for drifting off into dreamland. On the walls we think a rich and creamy ivory tone will subtly set off everything from the blinds to the new bedding (try Glidden’s Shell White). It will pop just enough off all the white trim in the space but will also keep things subtle and serene thanks to the subdued color and tone. The result: something positively dreamy.
2. Here’s the major stunner for the space. A gorgeous and luxe upholstered caliornia king headboard (over $400 off!) to get Manisha’s bed off the floor! The blue-gray color and the soft microfiber fabric will create a cozy and inviting haven that Manisha and her husband will adore retreating to after a long day. And as for the bedding, you’ll just have to stay tuned.
3. We’ll be bringing a lot of silvery blues and gleaming metallic tones into the space for a room that shines with style, as demonstrated by this fabulous silver pillow which will look great on an accent chair tucked in the corner.
4. And speaking of the accent chair for the corner where the folding table currently resides, here it is in all it’s glory. A cozy reading chair is the ultimate luxury in a bedroom for everything from flipping through a magazine to resting freshly laundered clothing. And at 50% off (!) it’s a major piece for a major steal.
5. But no space is complete without a little DIY elegance, and we think snagging two of these gorgeous candle wall sconces and spray painting them a crisp bright white will take them from rustic to glam in no time flat. Reminiscent of white coral, they’ll look super swanky hung on either side of the h upholstered headboard, framing the sleeping area in a unique and special way.
6. And in another romantic and glammy gesture, we also dug up this pretty candle screen (also 50% off!) which we think will look great in that corner with the folding table above (tucking this screen behind our new accent chair will add dimension and layered Hollywood Regency style to the empty space).
7. And what’s a glam bedroom without some mirrored side tables? At just 99 bucks a pop, you’d be hard-pressed to find such gorgeous pieces for that price anywhere else. And because there’s minimal wall space to the left of the bed due to the window, these small tables will fit perfectly on either side of the bed while maintaining an open feeling thanks to their leggy silhouette. They’re just big enough for all the essentials (a book, an alarm clock, and a glass of water), so they’ll be easy to keep uncluttered for a serene feeling (and less maintenance in the long run). Plus, by bringing in a few mirrored surfaces, the mirrored closet doors will look less glaring and dated and more intentional and integrated in the space.
8. Manisha also mentioned that she’d welcome any and all help in her adjoining master bathroom, and we think one thing that would make a huge difference would be to switch out her current light fixture for this glam, Hollywood-inspired fixture from Home Depot. And for even more of a dramatic transformation, Manisha could also paint her bathroom walls in an enveloping gray-blue tone to work seamlessly with our accent tones in the bedroom (try Glidden’s Limoges Blue). Instant makeover guaranteed.
9. Here are the fab blue silk curtains that Manisha picked up from Pottery Barn for her bedroom makeover. We love their dreamy blue-gray coloring and think they’ll look sophisticated and elegant flanking every window in the space. And Manisha could also try hanging a curtain panel on either side of those mirrored sliding closet doors to mimic another window in the space and soften the harsh rectangular shape of the doors (while carrying over our blue accent color to that side of the room as well as the window wall for a more balanced overall appearance).
10. Hollywood glam is all about layering posh and elegant colors and finishes (from reflective mirrors to velvet and silk) and this room simply wouldn’t be complete without a large scale 9×12 neutral toned jute rug to ground the bed and add some gentle texture and elegance to the entire space. We love the soft neutral tones which will play so well with everything from our wall color to our blue accent tones, and we love the double border detail which adds even more style to the soon-to-be-swankified space. We also adore how the jute’s texture will play with the other nature-inspired elements in the room (like those coral-esque white candle sconces) for a room with more dimension and unexpected detailing than the average mirrored boudoir.
11. And now for the icing on the cake: the bedding. We loved the look of the white comforter with the upholstered headboard, but wanted to add a stylish and inviting layered look that practically screams “come to bed”. This gorgeous bedding set isn’t available in a cali-king size, but we think just snagging the shams and the decorative pillows along with that great patterned throw in a king size (on sale for $39.99!) will add major luxury and interest to the bed on a serious budget. Then just grabbing a white cali-king duvet anywhere (from Linens N’ Things to Bed Bath and Beyond) along with a nice white sheet set will complete the entire look and make for an utterly amazing sleeping space.
So there it is. Manisha’s soothing and serene bedroom makeover. We can’t wait to hear what you guys think!
Update: We sadly can no longer find the time to take on client commissioned mood boards (we now whip up general inspiration boards instead) but if we ever reinstate them we’ll make a big announcement!