When Valerie asked us to help transform her family room, we jumped at the chance to swankify her space. Here’s her letter:
I need your help! I have a sunken family room that I have never been able to arrange properly. I’d love to keep the travertine buffet that I use as a television stand but the round table where my kids do their crafts can be relocated to another room if necessary. The sectional sofa must go, but the art above the mantle should stay (I’d also like to keep the wall color if possible). I like rooms that feel casual but with a transitional to contemporary feeling as well. I prefer warm, autumnal colors. I don’t care for blues. I don’t have many patterns incorporated in my furnishing, but I prefer abstract rather than traditional. We have three young children and two large dogs so durability (and safety) is important. I have learned my lesson and prefer not to have and glass tabletops. Thanks so much for your help! Looking forward to your suggestions. – Valerie
We love Valerie’s sunken family room’s spacious open floor plan, cozy fireplace, and gorgeous wood floors. And we’ll build on those amazing features with a few new pieces to work with a few existing items to create a casual yet contemporary hangout for Valerie’s whole family. Without further ado, our warm and toasty mood board:
Here’s the mood board breakdown.
1. Our color palette is warm and autumnal- we’ll layer brown, red, orange and gold tones to create an inviting living area for the whole family. Adding a h ottoman (which is also a lot safer than a pointy glass coffee table) and some cozy furnishings in some soothing neutral tones will tie everything together (and work perfectly with the existing travertine topped TV cabinet and that great neutral wall color).
2. The first thing that we replaced at Valerie’s request was the old sectional. Placing furniture in such an open sunken space (with so many points of entry and exit) can be a bit of a challenge. So we think this clean lined and contemporary will help with the layout and keep things airy while providing some comfy seating to spare. Once Valerie floats her new (wait for it…) rug in the center of the sunken space, it will be easy to center this sofa on the left side of the rug facing the TV, and the addition of two more cozy arm chairs which will flank either side of the TV cabinet (in place of the existing open shelving) will finish off the seating area. And by moving her children’s craft table to another area, we’ll be able to shift everything to the center of the room for a look that’s balanced and welcoming. These great (just $25 with free shipping) will add interest, texture, and more of that rich red accent color into the space (to work with everything from Valerie’s existing art to the rug).
3. Another way to add instant style and warmth to a space is with the perfect window dressings, and we think these subtly textured cinnamon colored hung high and wide around each window and doorway will frame the view without blocking even an inch of light. Instant atmosphere!
4. Here’s our aforementioned (on sale no less!) which is both child friendly and super stylish. It’ll tie in perfectly with the existing wall color while breaking up all the browns and reds in the space and grounding the entire seating area to boot. Plus the addition of a wooden tray atop the ottoman will accommodate everything from drinks to remote controls. Centering the ottoman in front of the sofa (which will also be centered on the TV cabinet) will create order and balance, and since we’ll be adding an area rug the room will look even more finished and inviting when we’re done.
5. These in one of our punchy warm accent colors will look fab on the mantle below Valerie’s existing art.
6. Our will tie everything together (Valerie should go for the 8×10) while adding even more warmth and style to the space. This piece will be the key to arranging all the furniture, and floating it in the middle of the room will help Valerie shift the TV cabinet over to the center of the wall (which will be perfectly balanced by the centered sofa on the other side of the room).
7. We fell hard for these and thought they’d look amazing on Valerie’s travertine topped TV cabinet for some added accessorizing to keep the eye moving around the room. Plus the great warm metallic tone will work perfectly with our palette and the reflective material will add a dash of glamour while keeping light bouncing around for a spacious feel.
8. We’ll complete the cozy and casual seating area with that positively scream “take a load off” while working seamlessly with our balanced layout and our warm sunset-inspired color scheme. At over $300 off they’re a great deal, and we think one on either side of the TV cabinet angled in towards the ottoman will make the entire room feel welcoming and perfect for reading, entertaining, TV viewing and general relaxing. And we can’t neglect to mention the swanky pillow that we dug up to set off both of our new armchairs. Two of these amazing will add fabulous texture and color to the space in a flash.
So there it is. Valerie’s warm and casual yet clean and contemporary living room makeover. We can’t wait to see what you guys think!
Update: We sadly can no longer find the time to take on client commissioned mood boards (we now whip up general inspiration boards instead) but if we ever reinstate them we’ll make a big announcement!