Welcome to the show notes for Episode #15 of kokokara Has A Podcast. On this week’s episode we’re chatting about college students who are catching national attention with their extravagant dorm decor, and we’re sharing where we fall in this debate (and open up about our own experiences with college housing). We also get some great design advice from HGTV’s Vern Yip, and spill our first impressions of meeting Emily Henderson for the first time. We also nerd out over a smart home we visited, and learn a hard lesson about why rice is sometimes not your friend.
You can download this episode from , , and – or listen to it below! Then use this page to check out any links, notes, or photos that we referenced.
- Above is that we snapped with after last month in NYC. That’s her better version above (here’s ), or you can see prettier photos of the event (snapped by photographer ) below.
- We also mentioned a few “smart home” products our friends were using. Here’s their and their (or just the if that’s more your speed).
- Here’s the Novogratz book that Sherry raved about, . They also published a follow-up called , and there’s a new one coming out next month called that we’ve already preordered. You can also see a lot of their work on .
- And speaking of meeting designers, here are some pics of us meeting Bob and Courtney Novogratz at our very first book signing ever in Cincinnati back in 2012.
Vern Yip Voicemail
- Vern’s new book, , is out (tomorrow!) and it looks to be full of eye candy and great practical advice.
- He also has a that you can check out from .
Fancy Dorm Rooms
- The photo above is THE “fancy dorm room” at Ole Miss that went viral thanks to . You can see more photos of it in this article from .
- You can see other examples of fancy dorm rooms in .
- And as promised, below you can see a photo of John’s room in the house he lived in (the one that was a former kitchen). The only documentation we have of this is a weird “photo collage” made back in the day. You know, before panoramic picture-taking iPhones (and during his crush-on-Britney-Spears phase).
- Sadly we can’t find the picture of Sherry’s denim blanketed & goldfish shower curtained dorm, but we’ll add it here if we ever come across it.
- Here are some of the legit bookends Sherry’s digging (or owning, in the case of a certain white ceramic animal-esque one): | | | |
- And here are the we referenced too (which you could probably hide within the last book to stabilize everything, and then place a vase or other lighter object at the end just for decorative purposes).
- Here’s the Mary Roach book, , that John’s in the midst of nerding out over. If you want to dive into others of hers, , , and are some of our other favorites.
- Oh, and here’s the “rice-splosion” that happened when the vase tipped over. #oops
Psst- Looking for something we’ve dug in a past episode, but don’t remember which show notes to click into? Well, here’s a master list of everything we’ve been digging from all past episodes.
*This page contains affiliate links